Liam's Spectra Build

In hopes of gaining this web forum activity, I hope to make an update on my build every once in a while (2005 Kia Spectra EX)

If this sort of post is not allowed by moderators or needs changes to fit the guidelines, please let me know and I will gladly remove it.

Consider this post more of a journal that people can comment on!

My goals for this build:

The goals I have in mind are to make my car a functional track race car, not just one of those oval racers. I have already made quite a few modifications to get me closer to this goal, which I will list later on.

If I don’t use this car myself, I hope to sell it off to someone who will use it for it’s actual purpose of track racing rather than just sitting around or ruining streets. (If interested in potentially purchasing or sponsoring, please message me)

Modifications:

Engine / Performance:

Cold Air Intake (Running through headlight vent)

Performance Spark Plugs (Don’t remember brand)

Bright headlight bulbs (very light blue)

Performance Head Gasket

Complete Overall Gasket Change (Exh, Int, Oil, etc.)

Performance Oil Filter & Oil (Obviously)

Performance Shifter Assembly

Interior:

Stripped Interior

Only Driver and Passenger Front Seats

Harness Bar (base for building roll cage)

5 Point Harness (PROPERLY ATTACHED, NOT FLOOR BOUND)

Longer handle Shift Knob

Performance Pedal Face Set

Key-based Battery Shut Off Switch

Goals:

Build Roll Cage

Power Adder Components (Turbo / Supercharger / NOS, etc.)

Piggyback ECU (Mostly for AFR changes once Turbo/Supercharged)

Full Aero Body Kit (In Process)

Detachable Steering Wheel (Makes it easier to get in and out of car)

Gauge Display / Setup (Display important info [AFR/Oil/Water/etc] )

New Suspension / Tires

Issues:

Compression Leak on Cyl 4

1] Air leaks from sparkplug or tower once the sparkplug connector is removed, engine regularly runs on 3.5 cylinders causing vibrations and slight loss of power

Progress:

1] I think the compression leak may be from around the sparkplug itself, however I do not know of any way to verify this. I may take it to a mechanics shop to have them examine the issue and see if they can come to a conclusion.

Solutions:

1] TBD

Progress on Modifications:

Working on the fabrication of a body kit, in the designing phase. The kit will end up being Fiberglass due to the cost. Carbon Fiber is preferred, however it is too expensive.

For more information, resources, assistance, or if you have any intentions of purchasing said Spectra, please let me know in the replies or message me if possible.

In the meantime, thank you for reading this. I will try and update as frequently as I’m able to.
I wish this website great activity, and everyone here a good holidays.

Ignore these following words, as they’re merely tags that people can search for:
Kia Spectra, Cerato, Shuma, 2005, KIA EX, Kia Mods, Kia Race, Modded Kia, Kia Spectra Bodykit, Kia Bodykit.

1 Like

Update 1 - 1/12/22

Bodykit:

Front Bumper is 2/5ths completed. I have masked off the bumper and applied a foam which I have begun to carve into the desired shape. Attached to the bumper, I will be adding two Aero fins on each side. Two fins will be attached onto the front right and front left bumper quarters.

Other panels:

The only part of the body that is being modified at this moment is the Front Bumper.

Cyl 4 Update:

Cylinder 4 has yet to be examined by a mechanics shop, due to their distance and some being shut down. I may try Helicoils in the future, but that will remain a last effort for now.

Other notes:
I would like to give a huge thanks to Enekuda for making me one of the New Users of the Month! It has been really nice being able to share my plans and experience on this site, and I hope we can continue to do so for many years to come!

I will do my updates weekly, but I might pop in with some extra updates here and there!

Until next time, stay safe!
-Liam

1 Like

It’s been a hot minute since I was last able to update this! I haven’t been able to work on my car much since my work scheduling usually keeps me until dark. . .

I haven’t done much this week, but I have done some:

Dash cluster cover panel delete

More work on the front bumper (no pictures yet)

More work on the harness bar (no pictures yet)

…

Older photos:

Center console

Battery shutoff switch

Gauge cluster

Interior (current working zone, obviously uncleaned)

I’ll update once more when I have enough progress to make it worthwhile. For now, I’m going to be working mainly on the front bumper so I can get that out of the way.

Until next time

1 Like

THE UPDATE I HAVE BEEN WAITING MONTHS FOR!!

I absolutely apologise for being inactive these last few months, but with my inactivity comes great news!
I am currently in the process of moving into a brand new house with more workspace area(!!!) so I will be more able to work on my spectra!

A lot has happened, but I am truly glad to be back.
I might be starting a YouTube channel, covering my builds!

As of currently, I am working on two vehicles:

• 2005 kia spectra ex
  • 1974 Ford Pinto

If anyone is interested in videos being made on my builds, I will absolutely consider it!

The Ford Pinto will be built up to a daily drive-able car until the engine kicks the bucket, then the fun begins!

The Spectra will be built up to a mixture of Rally / Hill-climb!

CONFIRMATION

Kia Soul Engine Turbo

I can officially confirm that a/an (2015) Kia Soul turbo can easily be fitted onto the Kia Spectra’s engine (hyundai beta 2 2.0 litre), however I have discovered yet another turbo which can easily fit.
Now, understand that by “fit” I mean the exhaust headers, this does not mean that it would exactly have the clearance in a stock engine bay but it’s still worth a shot.

Kia has a 2.0 liter turbocharged GDI turbocharged engine which I somehow overlooked!
And before people ask, yes it’s a hyundai theta 2!

More specs on this engine are available here:

Now, the Theta and Beta engines should have the exact same exhaust headers.
With this being said, in theory you should absolutely be able to directly bolt a turbo off of a Theta block onto your Beta!

While I still have to financially recover from purchasing a house, once I am able to I will absolutely test this theory out and keep you all updated!

Closing remarks

Thank you everyone for keeping this place active and relevant, and welcome new people!
Hopefully soon I shall resume logging updates into this page and keep us all entertained.

If anyone has any questions whatsoever, please feel free to message me! Until then, I hope you all have a great day, and a safe smooth ride.

Cheers,
Liam

1 Like

Gotta hand it to you, i LOVE the format you have going on here!!

Might have to use some of it as a template for others to pust their builds!

Also VERY nice build so far man!

1 Like

Hey, thanks a lot!

I figured the template would make it easier for people to just jump right into and read, seems to work!
You’re absolutely free to use it, not like I can copyright it haha

Woah do I really have the first post of the year? That’s insane!

2024 Update

Well, I will say it has been a while but the kia is still running strong. Being used currently as a daily driver, until I get the income to either get a separate car to daily or do small modifications here and there.
It has been a super busy couple of months, but I hope to get back to it soon!

Hmm, let me think of what else I can update you people on. . .
Oh yeah, I’m proud to have been here for over a year! November 2022 to November 2023 marked my very first year on this forum!
It has been a nice year, and I look forward to many more!

I would like to close this update off by saying, while I can’t do much work to my spectra right now, I am working hard to get the Ford Pinto up and running strong!
I am hand making a new intake that fits two new motorcycle carburetors onto it, so you could say it’s quite busy!
If anyone is interested in updates on this, please let me know!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this, and if there’s anything specific you would like to see please let me know! Until then, stay safe.

Cheers,
Liam